Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)

Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/viewtopic.php on line 920

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/viewtopic.php on line 920

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
1960 Oldsmobile Forum • View topic - Another new guy

Another new guy

Check here for announcements, ask for forum help, or introduce yourself.

Moderator: toolbox

Another new guy

Postby greg pettit on Sun May 11, 2008 11:45 pm

Hello,

My name is Greg and I just bought a 1960 Olds Dynamic 88 4-door sedan.

It had sat for over 20 years, but my brother and I got it running and drove it around the block already!

I am sure I will have plenty of questions as we bring this remarkable automobile back to life.

Thanks for putting up this site!

Greg

1960 4 door Dynamic 88 sedan
greg pettit

Postby super88dan on Mon May 12, 2008 12:47 am

That's cool. Seeing that kinda stuff makes me want to go get another. I always think it would be cool to have a two door hardtop. Somewhat in the styling of a "ratrod" satin black. With red rims etc.
super88dan

394 Cubic Inches of Power
super88dan

Postby greg pettit on Mon May 12, 2008 3:41 am

Yeah, this car inspires all kinds of feelings for us, too.

My bro and I are hardcore Ford dudes....see my avatar......

But, I have walked by this Olds for 5 years...one day, I had to make it mine!

Sure enough, the owner was willing to sell.

So, not only is this my first foray into GM ownership in general, it is also my first venture into the classic/antiqe car era as well.

Ford musclecars? Got 'em covered. '60's era GM cars? We know absolutely nothing...lol....

This car needs floors, no problem, but the rear trunk weatherstrip channel is rusted thru as well. That should prove to be quite a challenge to correct.

Anyhow, I'm rambling now, but rest assured we can't wait to put this Olds back on the road.

Greg
greg pettit

Postby rocket60 on Mon May 12, 2008 3:15 pm

Welcome to this forum guys :mrgreen:

Greg petit, your Olds has the factory air and it's a good thing. It was an expensive option at that time (more than $400 !) and not too many 60 Olds were factory equipped. Great find ! :D
I hope you and your brother will restore this baby to cruise as soon as possible. Well, some work first and pleasure then... :lol:

Among the options the first owner have choosed on your 88 we can see (upon your pictures) air cond & tinted glass, back up lamps, power steering, deluxe steering wheel, hydramatic trans, power brakes, two speed (and washer) wipers and chrome trim around side windows.
If you want to know more about your car, just send more pictures and some identification numbers, things like that.

So long,

Fred (from France)
1960 Oldsmobile super 88 sceni coupe
1960 Olds 98 holiday sedan
rocket60

Postby KustomOlds98 on Mon May 12, 2008 8:49 pm

Hey Greg, welcome from Lewisville, your just down the highway neighbor!

Fernando
KustomOlds98

Postby toolbox on Tue May 13, 2008 3:54 pm

greg pettit wrote:Yeah, this car inspires all kinds of feelings for us, too.

My bro and I are hardcore Ford dudes....see my avatar......

But, I have walked by this Olds for 5 years...one day, I had to make it mine!

Sure enough, the owner was willing to sell.

So, not only is this my first foray into GM ownership in general, it is also my first venture into the classic/antiqe car era as well.

Ford musclecars? Got 'em covered. '60's era GM cars? We know absolutely nothing...lol....

This car needs floors, no problem, but the rear trunk weatherstrip channel is rusted thru as well. That should prove to be quite a challenge to correct.

Anyhow, I'm rambling now, but rest assured we can't wait to put this Olds back on the road.

Greg

Welcome to the site Greg! Great looking find there :) . I don't see that many Dynamic '60s around, and that one looks very original. And Fred is right about the AC...not a very common option. Glad to hear it still runs after that long...mine sat in a field for 12 years, and didn't run until after I rebuilt the engine. I bet the brakes on yours were pretty crusty too...just about every car I've dealt with that sat for more than 5 years needed a complete brake overhaul.

I only had to replace one chunk of one of my floor (see my post in the body and paint section.) As for fixing that trunk channel, that will be a challenge. You might want to check and see if a piece from another '60 GM car (Pontiac, Buick or Chevy) might work...there were a few body pieces that were common to all three (I think the rocker panels were for example) and you might be able to use one of those if you can't find an Olds piece to splice in. Forming your own would certainly be...interesting :? .

Looks like it has the typical "60 Olds fender rust up front...they virtually all have this because the cowl has drain tubes that drained right behind there, and once dirt got stuck in the support metal behind there it was only a matter of time before rust started forming. Both my front fenders needed to have patches welded in there. Not a big deal really...it's a gentle curve, and kind of a big flat space.

I've had a few Fords, but most of my cars (and trucks) have been GM. Had a '63 Galaxie 500 for a few years as my daily driver (352, 3 on the tree w/overdrive was fun!). Also had a '75 LTD, and drove a '96 Contour for 4 years. I had a chance to buy a white '65 Mustang for $2500 back in college...decent shape w/289, automatic. Blue pony interior. Wish I would have bought it, but needed something that got better gas mileage (poor college student and all :oops: ). Ended up with a 6 cylinder Camaro instead.

Anyway, welcome aboard! And don't worry about rambling...just look at my posts :oops: . Feel free to ask any questions of course, and please keep us up to date with your progress!
Scott
1960 Oldsmobile 98 Scenicoup.
394V8 4BBL Dual Exhaust.
GO OLDS '60!

"It doesn't matter if you believe you will fail or succeed...either way, you are correct."

www.1960oldsmobile.com
www.lastbestphotography.com
toolbox
Site Sponsor

Postby greg pettit on Wed May 14, 2008 3:24 am

Thanks for the awesome welcome! You guys sure do know how to make a dude feel welcome.

I have been out of own all week, but when I get back tomorrow I will post up the numbers off the tags on the cowl and door jamb. Maybe you folks can figure out exactly what this car is?

And the brakes were rusted solid. The wheels rolled fine, and the parking brake works great, but the wheel cylinders are likely frozen with rust.

I have new ones sitting at home, and we already swapped in a dual reservoir master cylinder from an '85 Ford truck and fabbed up new brake lines. Gotta think safety, and that single pot m/c wasn't doin' it for me....lol.....
greg pettit

Postby toolbox on Thu May 15, 2008 4:59 pm

greg pettit wrote:Thanks for the awesome welcome! You guys sure do know how to make a dude feel welcome.

I have been out of own all week, but when I get back tomorrow I will post up the numbers off the tags on the cowl and door jamb. Maybe you folks can figure out exactly what this car is?

And the brakes were rusted solid. The wheels rolled fine, and the parking brake works great, but the wheel cylinders are likely frozen with rust.

I have new ones sitting at home, and we already swapped in a dual reservoir master cylinder from an '85 Ford truck and fabbed up new brake lines. Gotta think safety, and that single pot m/c wasn't doin' it for me....lol.....

Definetly post your numbers...I can help with some of them, but Fred can probably tell you more.

My brakes were rusted solid too. Everything was rebuildable though, so I just cleaned everything and put new parts in. The bores were in surprisingly good shape once I got all the goop out of everything. Brake booster has a leather piston seal that was still in once piece, but dry as a rock. I used a bunch of leather treatment to soften it up, and it's still working fine. Dual MC is a good upgrade for safety...post a pic of your setup when you can, I'm curious to see what it looks like.

I just looked at the pictures again...looks like your steering wheel is in pretty nice shape. Lucky guy...most of them have all kinds of splits and cracks. Mine was pretty bad.
Scott
394V8 4BBL Dual Exhaust.
GO OLDS '60!

"It doesn't matter if you believe you will fail or succeed...either way, you are correct."

www.1960oldsmobile.com
toolbox
Site Sponsor

Postby greg pettit on Fri May 16, 2008 3:58 am

I ordered all new wheel cylinders and brake shoes. Hopefully, that's all we'll need to put the brakes back into operation.

If the booster is weak, I'll try to fix it now instead of trying to just replace it. Thanks for the tip on the leather seal.

Today was a long day. It all started with trying to make all the heater and a/c controls function.

Well, that turned out to include complete removal of the heater box and air plenum.

Discovered two bad vacuum motors in the process. Had a bad vacuum valve, but I think we got it working OK now.

The a/c control was completely frozen solid. Worked it free, and now the two switches and the rotary vacuum valve seem to be OK.

We mocked up the entire system on the driveway and ran it off of the vacuum from my a/c vacuum pump, and except for the bad actuators, everything worked.

Through this process we gained a new understanding of how the system works. It is foreign in every way to everything I have ever known about automotive climate controls.

The passenger side wiper would not function, so my bro took apart the linkage and discovered a frozen shaft on the pass side wiper assembly. Got it fixed, but a rusted and broken snap ring prevented reassembly. Should be able to find a new snap ring tomorrow, no problem.

So, at the end of the day, I discovered I need two vacuum motors, a heater core, and some heater hoses.

Tomorrow we start working the electrical system and removing the field repairs that have been done to the wipers and a/c systems over the years.

Did I mention I really love this car?

greg pettit

Postby toolbox on Tue May 20, 2008 2:13 pm

[quote="greg pettit"]
Through this process we gained a new understanding of how the system works. It is foreign in every way to everything I have ever known about automotive climate controls.

I almost laughed out loud when I read this. If you've never seen one before, it really is a strange system. I've poked around mine so many times it doesn't seem all that odd any more. In the 1950's Detroit discovered that you could use vacuum power to do all sorts of fun tricks, and they went hog wild with it. Just be thankful these didn't come with vacuum powered wipers
:shock: . One of my best friends used to have a '59 Rambler Super that had them...if you hit the gas the wipers would slooooow down...usually right when you needed them most :shock: .

Looks like you're making great progress though :) . At this rate, you'll have it done in no time. I've been working on mine for 12 years, and it still isn't done LOL. Just curious...is the black paint just temporary, or are you planning on giving it a rat rod sort of treatment?
Scott
394V8 4BBL Dual Exhaust.
GO OLDS '60!

www.1960oldsmobile.com
toolbox
Site Sponsor

Postby greg pettit on Tue May 20, 2008 2:15 pm

We were just doing a little clowning with the black. But, we definitely like it better than the gold.

So we'll probably just hit the car with rustoleum 7777 and call it good for the summer while we sort out the rest of the car.

Greg
greg pettit

Postby rocket60 on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:03 pm

A friend of mine own a "like new" 58 Lincoln Continental, the summum of luxury at this time. But it came with vaccum operated wipers. Just ridiculous for such a car. :shock:
Oldsmobile is the best... :wink:
1960 Oldsmobile super 88 sceni coupe
1960 Olds 98 holiday sedan
rocket60

Return to Forum Announcements, Help, Introductions