Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)

Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/viewtopic.php on line 920

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/viewtopic.php on line 920
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
1960 Oldsmobile Forum • View topic - pertronix ignitor

pertronix ignitor

Engine, transmission, brakes,etc.

Moderator: toolbox

pertronix ignitor

Postby petey100 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:14 pm

Hello! I have a bone stock 1960 dynamic 88 and I want to put the pertronix ignitor in it . Has anybody here done this and what kit did you use or is there anything else you could recomend?
petey100

Re: pertronix ignitor

Postby toolbox on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:09 pm

If you want electronic ignition, it's probably the only game in town... Unlike a Chevy or other car, there were no electronic ignition distributors ever made for this engine family, and there isn't any interchange I'm aware of (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). Google Pertonix review, and you should get a pretty good idea how well they work. I know guys that swear by them, and guys that swear at them. FWIW, if you maintain it, the stock ignition system works just fine. Get a dwell meter and go to town :mrgreen:
Scott
1960 Oldsmobile 98 Scenicoup.
394V8 4BBL Dual Exhaust.
GO OLDS '60!

"It doesn't matter if you believe you will fail or succeed...either way, you are correct."

www.1960oldsmobile.com
www.lastbestphotography.com
toolbox
Site Sponsor

Postby 60Olds on Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:04 pm

There has been some problems with these when used with a generator. I'm not sure of why other than something to do with voltage variation. Generators have more variation than alternators do. Who knows this may have been fixed. I know a lot of people running them with alternator and they seem to like them. Good luck

ps. I still run the points I like to keep it simple
60Olds

Postby oldskustom on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:23 pm

Hello all! I'm a newbie here but I have some Ignitor experience. My '60 began to run significantly better with it. The only change I made was the ignitor itself ,well also I cleaned and checked the distributor the same time. Anyway, compared to near new correctly adjusted points idle was smoother and throttle response slightly better. Idle difference was the most significant. No problem with generator even with slighly out-of-tune regulator.
oldskustom

Return to Mechanical