Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)

Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/viewtopic.php on line 920

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/viewtopic.php on line 920
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
1960 Oldsmobile Forum • View topic - Petronix Question

Petronix Question

Engine, transmission, brakes,etc.

Moderator: toolbox

Petronix Question

Postby misercola on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:44 pm

A friend and local classic car affciando is encouraging me to install a Petronix Ingnitor in my 60 when I tune it up in the Spring. He swears by it and says it's much better and more reliable than the original distributor and its parts. Has anyone had any experience with one of these in their car?

Regards,
Mark
misercola

Re: Petronix Question

Postby 60Olds on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:35 am

I"ve used them in cars with alternators but I have known guys that have had problems in the past with using them in cars with generators but that may just be an issue with the regulator not being set correctly. I plan on installing 1 in mine sometime soon. So go for it. The guys I know that had trouble with them told me that the company took care of them.

Let us know how it works out in your Olds.

Brian
60Olds

Postby toolbox on Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:22 pm

I'd be curious to see how it works out...I think at least one other person here asked about them before. I always ran HEI distributors in my small block Chevys, so I totally understand the convenience of not ever having to futz with it. Well, okay...I've replaced a few ignition modules over the years, but they're really reliable. OTOH, I don't think you really see any performance gains switching from points to EI, unless you're going to rev the motor so high the points float, which probably isn't a concern in a '60 Olds :P . A new set of points properly adjusted will give a lot of miles of trouble free service. A tach/dwell meter can be found pretty cheap these days...probably a lot easier to find than someone who knows how to use it :lol: . Here's a nice looking one from MAC for $20 on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mac-Tool ... veQ5fTools
I haven't adjusted mine since I built my motor...but I doubt I put 500 miles on my car in a year.
Scott
1960 Oldsmobile 98 Scenicoup.
394V8 4BBL Dual Exhaust.
GO OLDS '60!

"It doesn't matter if you believe you will fail or succeed...either way, you are correct."

www.1960oldsmobile.com
www.lastbestphotography.com
toolbox
Site Sponsor

Postby oldskustom on Fri May 07, 2010 2:53 pm

Don't you worry, it'll work. I've had mine installed I don't even remember how long and I haven't touched the distributor since. I'd say it's not more reliable than points but maintenance free. Well adjusted points work very well but you just have to give some tender care to them every now and then. Out-of-tune voltage regulator hasn't caused any harm with ignitor. And my Olds is not a show car, I use it as a daily driver in the summertime.
As I remember you'll have to disassemble the distributor completely when installing the Ignitor, it's a good chance to overhaul (clean tohroughly&lube) it in the same time.
oldskustom

Postby rocket60 on Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:48 pm

I have Pertronix system installed on my sceni coupe since 6 or 7 years and never had a single trouble with it. Starting the Olds is never a problem, anytime, any season. The car still have its factory generator and regulator.

In another hand my holiday sedan still have all the factory ignition system and runs very well.

The ignition system has been modified on the coupe because I always had trouble with it and couldn't solve the problem. I don't touch anything if it works well.
1960 Oldsmobile super 88 sceni coupe
1960 Olds 98 holiday sedan
rocket60

Return to Mechanical