Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)

Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/viewtopic.php on line 920

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/viewtopic.php on line 920

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
1960 Oldsmobile Forum • View topic - sceni coupe restoration

sceni coupe restoration

Show off your completed project, survivor, or daily driver!

Moderator: toolbox

sceni coupe restoration

Postby rocket60 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:06 pm

Hello,

Back in 1995 I purchased my first american car. It was a 1960 super 88 Oldsmobile sceni coupe in very poor condition. However there was not too much rust on the body.
"She" was almost complete, the engine was running but only with 4 or 5 cylinders. Brake were dead, the double exhaust line was full of holes, rotten.
The upholstery was in a pretty good shape but very very dirty. The interior of the car was covered of mud and the awfull smell made me sick. :cry:
Door panels were a bit damaged on the bottom. The carpet looked like a field of sh*t because the former owner used to get in the car with his boot full of manure. :roll:
Windshield and rear window were in excellent condition but not tinted. Only the driver window was cracked.
It's an export model with tachymeter in kilometer per hour. (one mile equal to 1.6 kilometer) The export cars came with a lot of options : automatic transmission, power steering, power windows, 6 way power seats, deluxe radio with electric antenna, safety sentinel, courtesy mirror, whitewall tires. But none of these cars were equiped with tinted glass which, I suppose, was not allowed by french law at that time.

There was a bad thing about export models. Due to the bad quality of french gasoline back in the 60's, the engine compression was lowered to 8.75 to 1. So the power fell from 315 BHP to 284 BHP. Each engine (with lowered compression) number has the suffix "E" for export model.
French laws used to and still demand that brake fluid level has to be visible through a clear jar which is located over the brake master cylinder.
Originals US horns has to be swapped for french ones (less or much powerfull ?) but the sound wasn't the real one. I putted the right US horns in my car. :wink:
French laws demanded too that the rear panels wore two little reflective lights which were ugly. Unfortunalely when you remove them you can see 2 little attaching holes in the rear aluminium panels, under the bumper. so, for the moment, I added 2 chrome bullet to hide those holes.
Well, stop writting now. I let you see the pictures in the appropriate place. Most are scanned and the quality is average to poor. These pictures were taken when I didn't got any numeric camera.
To be followed... :arrow:
1960 Oldsmobile super 88 sceni coupe
1960 Olds 98 holiday sedan
rocket60

Postby toolbox on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:54 pm

Very interesting! I wasn't aware of the differences with the export models. Too bad about the compression drop, although I suppose on the bright side you can use a lower grade of gasoline. I'd like to see a picture of your dash to see if the speedometer markings are different from the domestic model. Sorry to hear about the manure :shock: . That's pretty bad... The carpet in mine was moldy and rotten, but at least it didn't have any manure in it. My engine was covered in mouse droppings, and there was a mouse nest under my intake manifold though :oops: . Oddly, the mice didn't eat any of the wiring...which is good.

Sounds like a great car! Very much looking forward to seeing it.
Scott
1960 Oldsmobile 98 Scenicoup.
394V8 4BBL Dual Exhaust.
GO OLDS '60!

"It doesn't matter if you believe you will fail or succeed...either way, you are correct."

www.1960oldsmobile.com
www.lastbestphotography.com
toolbox
Site Sponsor

Postby rocket60 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:06 am

Hi toolbox,

Yes , there are some little things which are different from original US version cars from export ones. I will soon post a picture of the dash with tach in kilometer/hour. You story about mouse was fun. :lol:
For the moment there are some pictures of mys S88 coupe the first time I saw her. It was in 1995 in a junkyard 150 miles from home.

To be continued, I have to go at work...
rocket60

Postby toolbox on Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:41 pm

:shock: Wow...looks as bad as mine was :o . If that's the same one that I saw on your friends web site, congratulations on a great job! I'd be curious to hear about where you found the parts you needed over there...it's hard enough to find them over here.

I noticed your drivers side window looks a little crooked...mine was exactly the same way when I bought it. The glass had separated from the little "shelf" that it sits on inside the door. I think there were only a couple of little spot welds that hold it on, and mine had broken loose. I still haven't done a permanent fix on it yet, and occasionally it will fall down. I need to see if I can just weld it back together one of these days...I just haven't gotten to it yet.

It looks like your interior was nicer than mine...the seat looks like it's ok? How was the headliner? Mine was falling down and crumbling apart, and I couldn't save any of it at all.

It's funny...we both got our cars the same year, from a junkyard, and they're both two door hardtops.

Looking forward to seeing more pictures!
Scott
394V8 4BBL Dual Exhaust.
GO OLDS '60!

"It doesn't matter if you believe you will fail or succeed...either way, you are correct."

www.1960oldsmobile.com
toolbox
Site Sponsor

Postby rocket60 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:41 pm

On the above pictures you can see that the former owner has filled up the holes for side chrome trim. I suppose he wanted to make a custom. Sometimes some people do that because they don't have the trim but in that case, the complete side trim was there, and in a good shape.
The car was originally painted in "platinum mist" (light grey metallic) for the lower body and "provincial white" for the top. You will see that I choosed another factory color for the lower body.

The engine was removed for an overhaul and repainting. The Hydramatic wasn't open as the four gear and reverse worked well.
Then the combo engine-trans was installed on the car. It was not a frame-off restoration. We (me and a good mechanic friend) have just redone the things that had to be. Brakes, steering, electrical and few things were redone to new but we kept all the original parts we could.

Then I have spent hours and hours to clean up the seats and doors panels. I purchased a new carpet and made another headliner as the original sponge fabric fell down in little pieces. I have to scan the pictures about this.

One day the car went to a body shop. The body was fixed, primered and finally painted in "gulf blue" and provincial white".

The front bumper have been damaged by the former owner. He probably hit a tree or something else at slow speed. The chrome was pitted. I had to fix it but, unfortunately, the money was missing...
So I mounted the front bumper like it was. I wanted to drive my car the sooner I could.

I show you the dent on the front bumper and the car when I first drove it in snow weather. At that time the tires wasn't the whitewall I purchased later.

And the interior...

I hope you enjoy the pictures despite their bad quality (scan of 11 or 12 years old pictures)

to be continued...
rocket60

Postby rocket60 on Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:16 pm

Hello Toolbox, I was writing the above post when you posted your message.
Thank you for congratulations,
Yes it's the same car. I restored it during 3 years. At that time I haven't any garage and the car was kept at a good friend's garage. I used to live 40 miles away from my car. The time and money were missing and the restoration was slow, very slow.
By now, I bought a house whith a big garage in which I can park the 3 1960 Olds and a huge stock of parts for these cars.

You wonder how I did to find some parts ? Well you're right when you write that it's not so easy to find some parts for our favorite car. Imagine the task in France...Ten years ago I haven't got internet. But I was a reader of hemming motor news. I saw some good addresses such Fusick Oldsmobile, Kanter auto products, steele rubber parts, Olds auto parts and others.
I was sending my orders by mail and paid through credit card.
In 1997 and 2002 I went to US to bring back pounds and pounds of NOS parts and good used ones from Carlisle (PA)fall meet and Hershey (PA).
Prices and availability were OK. Less true nowadays.

And internet came and ebay too... It was easier to purchase some good parts.

About the driver side window, I had the same trouble. The broken window was thrown away and the chrome frame was welded to the support shelf. I put a new window. Since it was done I never had any trouble whith it.

About the interior I was very lucky. The morocceen and fabric were in very good shape. But morocceen was dry and started to crack (passenger area)a few years ago. I will have to restore the seats.

For the headliner I had the same problem. All the Olds that were equipped whith starlite sponge headliner had this problem.

The others pictures are coming soon. I'll show too the 98 flat top sedan.
rocket60

Postby toolbox on Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:29 am

Fantastic job! Can't wait to see the others... You said the restoration took a long time...don't feel too bad--I've had mine for 12 years, and it's still not done :oops: . I really like that shade of blue, it really looks sharp on that car. The interior looks great too. I would never have guessed it was the same as the first pictures. Where did you get your carpet from? Maybe you read my post about my carpet not fitting...someday I'm still going to have to put a new set in.

I've always wanted to go to one of the big car meets, but never have. I got a few parts from Dick Major years ago, but most everything I've found was on Ebay. I did some parts from a junkyard in Idaho (hood, fender, headlight bucket). I had to drive about 5 hours round trip to get the parts, but that's as close as I could ever find anything.

Anyway, definetly post more pictures of your other cars as well!
Scott
394V8 4BBL Dual Exhaust.
GO OLDS '60!

www.1960oldsmobile.com
toolbox
Site Sponsor

Postby toolbox on Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:30 am

Oh yea, and I'd like to see what you did for a headliner. I had to make my own as well, and I need to get some pictures of that up as well.
Scott
394V8 4BBL Dual Exhaust.
GO OLDS '60!

www.1960oldsmobile.com
toolbox
Site Sponsor

Postby rocket60 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:23 pm

For the headliner I have to take some pictures. I didn't do that yet. I used some kind of grey velvet which seemed to look like the original sponge rubber.
For the carpet, I purchased it in 1997 at Carlisle fall meet. I'm not sure but it seems to me that the seller was Auto mat & Carpet. I have to check that. It fitted well in my super 88. I have to replace the original (bad shape) one which is my 98. Hope that I won't have the same trouble you had with your carpet (sorry for it :( )
Hey, you want more pictures, OK. First, again pictures of my sceni S88, then my sceni 98 parts donor and my 98 flat top sedan.
Later, I will post some pictures of my S88 with another S88, a convertible which used to be owned by a friend. He sold it a few years ago... :cry:
Let's go for pictures...
]Image
[[/IMG]
]Image
]Image
]Image
]Image
]Image
]Image
]Image
[/url]
The poor 98 sceni sat outside for almost 3 years in a very moist area. W
eather elements have "gently" destroyed the car. I found it on ebay and I bought it because it was only at 50 miles from home !!!! The car was very rusty, restorable but whith a lot of money. I needed the parts so...
Moreover the seller added to this car a load of 60 Olds parts which came from a (now wrecked) 98 flat top sedan. :D

The third 1960 Olds is a 98 holiday sport sedan in original condition (but the headliner badly redone by previous owner). It's an export model with many options. The black paint is original. The chrome are driver quality, good looking 10 feet away.
When I purchased it (2 years ago) it was running but brakes were not efficient, exhaust was dead, gas tank and carburetor were full of...sand.
:shock: Wiper motor didn't work no more the horn. Fuel pump was gone, replaced by an electric one.
Today the car has a reconditionned original fuel pump, and all that didn't work was fixed. Now I drive it as much as possible. Pictures are coming..
]Image
]Image The New York 1960 license plates are just for fun but they are real (I ve got the pair)
]Image
]Image
]Image
Under snow 3 weeks ago...
]Image
]Image
]Image
]ImageImage

Next time I will post pictures of 1/25 th scaled models I have assembled...
rocket60

Postby toolbox on Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:56 pm

Wow, you've got some beautiful cars! :o . That's really too bad about the 98 Scenicoup...Olds only made around 7000 of them, and there really can't be that many left (oddly, there are three of them on this forum :shock: ). And thanks for posting all the pics...it's always fun getting to see them.

It's cool that you own 3 of them...I've only ever seen maybe 4 of them in my area. There's a wrecked 2 door out behind someones house north of here, and then I knew an old guy that had a 98 convertible that needed a complete restoration. He also had a surprisingly complete Fiesta wagon (only one I've ever actually seen). He was going to use the wagon as a parts car :x . Drove by his place a while back...both cars were gone. Those are the only '60 Oldsmobiles I've ever seen around here (well, and mine of course :) ).

If it's ok, I might save a couple of your pics and make you the "Featured Member" on the main page next month. I can make a little FLASH movie that could show a bunch of them. If you get a minute, you might want to look around the main page again if you haven't recently...I've added a lot of stuff to it. If you can think of any links or anything you'd like to see in there, let me know and I'll add them.
Scott
394V8 4BBL Dual Exhaust.
GO OLDS '60!

www.1960oldsmobile.com
toolbox
Site Sponsor

Postby rocket60 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:45 pm

Yes I know I should restore the sceni 98 but neither enough time nor enough money. The car look quite good in the pictures but it's not the reality. Maybe i will regret later... :oops: I will keep the S88 and the 98 flat top.

Sorry that you missed the fiesta and the 98 convertible. Wagons are very rare. I never saw a wagon but in pictures. I know that there were some wagons in export model. I purchased an extra hood to the guy I bought the sceni coupe. He told me that the hood came from a 88 fiesta.
He kept some parts and wrecked the body. :cry:

I will be happy to be featured member of the month. Of course you can use the pictures you need.
I Check the 60 Olds site from time to time. Thank you and congratulations for the work you've done.

Bye
rocket60

Postby KustomOlds98 on Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:04 pm

wowowowowowowow im excited and jealous all at the same time.

now you need some wagons, ambulances, and hearses! hehehe :shock: 8)

love the progress on the projects, keep it up. very motivational..
KustomOlds98

Postby rocket60 on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Hello !

I'd like to cruise in a wagon with my wife and two chidren. But I'd prefer to own a convertible... :lol:
I found a picture on the web showing a former hearse. Now it's painted blue, maybe you have already seen that picture.
About the projects, I have to replace all the worn bushings and ball joints of the front end of the S88 coupe. The front bumper still waits its rechroming and the front bench need some new morroccen. Moreover the body need some care too. The guy who worked on the body 13 years ago did a sloppy job. The passenger rocker panel and rear fender are rusty and some bubbles appeared under the paint. GRRR :evil: Well some work to do...
The 98 flat top need some care too... I'm motivated but I need some time, technical help and...a little money. :wink:
rocket60

Return to Restorations & Survivors