Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 916: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)

Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/viewtopic.php on line 920

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/viewtopic.php on line 920

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/includes/bbcode.php on line 472

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/includes/bbcode.php on line 112

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /homepages/30/d235503494/htdocs/clickandbuilds/phpBB/migrated236549354/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3526: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3528: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3529: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3530: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
1960 Oldsmobile Forum • View topic - Other projects?

Other projects?

Anything goes! Keep it family friendly please, and no spamming.

Moderator: toolbox

Other projects?

Postby toolbox on Tue May 06, 2008 7:50 pm

Hey guys!

Just thought I'd start a thread for sharing "other" projects... I've had a lot of different rigs over the years. Everything from a '75 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, to my '73 Chevy 4x4 1/2 ton. Also had several F-Body cars...three Camaros and a TA. I don't have pics of that many of them online, but I thought I'd share a couple. Here's my old truck...sure do miss my old truck. Sold it to pay for the minivan :x . Oh well...it would go anywhere, but I couldn't afford to get it there :oops: .

Here's how it looked for a lot of years...just painted with grey primer. This was up in the Highland Mountains south of Butte Montana (elevation about 8000 feet).

Here it is in a giant snow storm (in 2004 I think?) in Clinton, MT. Snow was up to the bumper, and it plowed right through it (and keep in mind the bumper is pretty high with 35" tires and a 4" lift :shock:)

Here's some pics of what it looked like while I was working on it getting it ready to sell...

And here it is ready to go. I gave it a fake M1008 paint job. The M1008 is the military version of the Chevy truck...they come with a 6.2 diesel, 24V electrical system, blackout lights, and some other military only bits.

The engine was a somewhat warmed up 350 small block that I originally built for my '84 Z28. Lots of torque...it would light up those 35" tires on pavement. Only did it once, just to see if it would :oops:

She's gone now, but certainly not forgotten :? . Oh well...the minivan gets decent mileage and it a lot more "practical". I'll get another truck someday...

Cheers,
Scott
Scott
1960 Oldsmobile 98 Scenicoup.
394V8 4BBL Dual Exhaust.
GO OLDS '60!

"It doesn't matter if you believe you will fail or succeed...either way, you are correct."

www.1960oldsmobile.com
www.lastbestphotography.com
toolbox
Site Sponsor

Postby greg pettit on Wed May 14, 2008 3:16 am

Well, I know this is a Ford car, and this is an Olds forum, but since this is "off topic" I thought it might be OK.

This is my 1971 Ford Torino GT. I have had it since 1987.

It has a 545 cubic inch 429 Cobra Jet with 200 HP worth of nitrous on top for good measure. Of course the A/C is fully functional for the Texas heat.

We ran the car at Pinks All Out in Shreveport, LA this spring, but we were not chosen for the show. The car ran good, though, for a 4200 LBS beast. We ran two passes, a 10.16 at 132 and a 10.12 at 133.

This car was also the feature car in the July 2007 issue of Popular Hot Rodding.

Modifications include:

Narrowed and mini-tubbed rear end

Chrysler leaf springs and shocks

Subframe connectors

Roll bar

Front and rear sway bars

4 wheel discs

Boxed control arms up front

Super high strength C6

Mustang driver's side frame rail and quick ratio power steering

Of course, the enormous engine

2001 Mustang Zinc Yellow paint (very close to the original color)

Black bucket interior (formerly white)

It has been a fun car, and I will never sell it......

Here are a couple of cool shots from the PHR photoshoot.... these made it into the article, too....

1960 4 door Dynamic 88 sedan
greg pettit

Postby toolbox on Thu May 15, 2008 5:19 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: . Holy crap man...that thing is awesome! Pushing a car that heavy into the 10s is no small feat. Congratulations! Got any interior shots? That's really cool that you got it into PHR too. Never had any of my vehicles in a car mag (yet) but I did get this shot into JP magazine (old Jeeps are another hobby of mine)...

I snapped that while I was driving down the highway...the guy was driving the truck like it was stolen. He had to be doing well over 80 :shock: . That's a Jeep flat fender (probably a CJ2A)...always makes me laugh when I see that picture. I also had a custom computer of mine featured in the Oct. 2003 issue of Maximum PC magazine...

It was a fun project at the time...I was just out of college, and I had a lot more free time than I have now :wink: . I'll always build all my own computers, but now they're pretty boring. Fast, but not much to look at. Some day I would like to build another custom one for fun though.

I really like the rig shots of your car too...one of these days I'm going to build a camera rig for doing just that sort of thing. I've got it pretty well planned out in my head, but that's as far as I've gotten. Still not sure if I want to use clamps or magnets...I think it'll be clamps to hook onto the frame though.

Anyway, that car is amazing :o . There's actually one not far from where I work that's the same year...but it's kind of a beater. The guy owns two of them, and I see him driving it around once in a while. Very cool!

And feel free to post whatever you want in the off-topic section, that's what it's here for :) . I don't care if you post your Grandma's spaghetti recipe, or pictures of your new lawnmower...as long as it's not the *%&%$ spam I've been fighting since the board went live, it's all fair game :) .

Thanks for sharing!
Scott
394V8 4BBL Dual Exhaust.
GO OLDS '60!

"It doesn't matter if you believe you will fail or succeed...either way, you are correct."

www.1960oldsmobile.com
toolbox
Site Sponsor

Postby greg pettit on Fri May 16, 2008 4:06 am

Dang, a water cooled computer? That's off the hook.

8)
greg pettit

Postby greg pettit on Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:26 pm

Thought I might fill you guys in on a little project I undertook a few weeks ago.

My 2wd F350 crew cab truck didn't have the traction to pull our boat out at the boat ramp. So, last year I bought a 5 speed 4x4 F350 for this purpose. It worked great, but the wife was concerned that she couldn't run the clutch and back in/pull out the trailer and boat.

So, I needed an automatic 4x4.

I put the auto 2wd truck up for sale, and was getting ridiculous lowball offers. I got mad, and took matters into my own hands.....what follows is a tale of a dedicated man on a mission of cheapness.....I decided to convert my 2wd truck into a 4wd.

It all started with the purchase of a 4x4 donor truck. Found one for $900 bucks. Got it running, to test all the 4x4 stuff, and everything was OK.

Before:

After grinding 50 rivets, cutting frame sections out, removing the entire drivetrain, etc we dropped off the carcass at a buddy's salvage yard for $300 in scrap value:

Now I had all the stuff to do the conversion.

Started with this:

Installed all the 4wd stuff in the rear (keeping the original 2wd axle). Ground off so many rivets up front I was going crazy. Installed all the leaf spring mounting hardware using 7/16" grade 8 bolts. Ever try drilling a 7/16" hole in a truck frame? How about 40 or so? No fun. Ended up here after about a week:

It was then that I took a week off to go to work! LOL..... When I got back, it was time to install the trans... the 4wd trans has a different output section so the transfer case can bolt up. Well, between '93 (the year of the donor) and '95 (the year of the recipient) they changed the electronics in side the trans, making them incompatible. So, a call to a trans buddy of mine confirmed I could simply swap the electronic guts between the trannies and be A-O-K. Additionally, I needed to swap the front pump and torque converter as well. That was a fun day.

Got the trans/transfer case in and hooked up with no real issues. There was a wiring harness already in place to hook to the transfer case to indicate 4x4 and low range on the instrument cluster. AND, there were bulbs in place as well! That was the first and one of the only things that was easy about the swap.

The front axle had 4.10 gears in it. The rear had 3.55's in it. It was time to install a 3.55 gearset in the front axle. I had never done a Dana 60 gear swap before. Now was the time. I found a cheap used gearset from a guy on another forum, and bought a ring and pinion installation kit. Believe it or not, although labor intensive due to the 4wd crap that needed to be removed first, the gear swap was simple. I literally removed the 4.10 gears, and installed the 3.55's without changing a single shim. I checked the gear pattern and it was perfect! Amazing. Slapped it back together and put it in the truck.

After swapping the brake lines and hoses over, I hooked all that stuff up and bled everything.

Threw the wheels and tires on the truck and took it for a spin. It was awesome! At least till the trans quit shifting.

Luckily that was caused by a bad switch on the transmission, simply swapping the 2wd switch over corrected all the issues.

So far, I have pulled a 23' pontoon in and out a few times, and also our 33' go fast boat and the truck has performed flawlessly.

So, instead of taking a $1500 hit on the sale of the 2wd truck, only to take another $ 1500 hit on a replacement truck, and a further $1000 hit on sure to be needed repairs and upgrades to the replacement truck.... I am instead out a total of $750 for the entire swap, and I still have my same trusty and dependable truck.

As a side note, this swap involved an estimated 160 man hours. Since I work for free that's not a cost factor, but it WAS a lot of very hard and dirty work. Not recommended for the faint of hart.

I have already decided tha tI will never do this swap again..... just too much pain involved! LOL....

Sorry for such a long post, but I thought you guys might like to see why the driver's side floor pan is still incomplete on the '60.

Greg
greg pettit

Postby toolbox on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:57 pm

:shock: :shock: . Awesome! I bet the R&P in that 60 were big. Never had a D60, just 44s (and a corporate 14 bolt). I used to have a 3/4 ton Chevy 2wd that I thought about converting...it would have actually been fairly simple (at least compared to THAT) since it was an old truck ('78). The main reason I was thinking about doing it was that the truck itself was in pretty decent shape...better than most of the 4wd trucks around here that old anyway. Eventually I ended up buying a beater 4x4 for $300 and took most of the good stuff off the '78 and put it on there. The end result was the truck I posted above :) . It was a Frankenstein for sure...the bed, doors, and most of the interior came from the '78. Fenders came from something else. Engine was originally a '69 GMC, but I built it for a Z28 I used to have and swapped it into the truck before I sold the car. Seats came from some junkyard SUV. Steering column came from a late '70s truck, and the steering wheel from an early '90s truck. It had 3 different transmissions in it when I was done. I rebuilt the transfer case myself. Front bumper was built by an old roomate of mine. About the only thing original on the truck was the hood :oops: .

Still, I gotta say man...that conversion you did was more work than anything I ever did to my truck!! Sweet.
Scott
394V8 4BBL Dual Exhaust.
GO OLDS '60!

www.1960oldsmobile.com
toolbox
Site Sponsor

Postby greg pettit on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:03 pm

toolbox wrote::shock: :shock: . Awesome! I bet the R&P in that 60 were big. Never had a D60, just 44s (and a corporate 14 bolt). I used to have a 3/4 ton Chevy 2wd that I thought about converting...it would have actually been fairly simple (at least compared to THAT) since it was an old truck ('78). The main reason I was thinking about doing it was that the truck itself was in pretty decent shape...better than most of the 4wd trucks around here that old anyway. Eventually I ended up buying a beater 4x4 for $300 and took most of the good stuff off the '78 and put it on there. The end result was the truck I posted above :) . It was a Frankenstein for sure...the bed, doors, and most of the interior came from the '78. Fenders came from something else. Engine was originally a '69 GMC, but I built it for a Z28 I used to have and swapped it into the truck before I sold the car. Seats came from some junkyard SUV. Steering column came from a late '70s truck, and the steering wheel from an early '90s truck. It had 3 different transmissions in it when I was done. I rebuilt the transfer case myself. Front bumper was built by an old roomate of mine. About the only thing original on the truck was the hood :oops: .

Still, I gotta say man...that conversion you did was more work than anything I ever did to my truck!! Sweet.

Thanks for the props! The truck is much more manly now....lol....

As for the ring and pinion gears, they were noticeably smaller than the Ford 9" stuff I normally work with. They looked funny, though, because they are reverse cut gears to run with a high pinion.

Greg
greg pettit

Postby greg pettit on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:52 am

Looks like I spoke too soon, the trans in the "new" 4wd truck lost 1st gear on the way to the drag races last weekend....1.5 hr trip each way.

Nursed it to the track (gotta race, you know) and the next day nursed it back home.

Got it out and torn down and found a totally wasted low gear sprag.

So, I get to make one good trans out of two! Wow, the fun never stops!

Greg
greg pettit

Re: Other projects?

Postby toolbox on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:14 pm

Dang, man! That sucks! I don't do automatics...well, other than a shift kit. BTDT with manuals though :(. You're right though...the fun never stops :lol:
Scott
394V8 4BBL Dual Exhaust.
GO OLDS '60!

www.1960oldsmobile.com
toolbox
Site Sponsor

Return to Off Topic Discussion